Thursday, August 16, 2012

Combat King Update

Well it's good to hear that some readers are enjoying their Combat King arcade sticks. One of my main issues is that I have a Hori arcade stick and a Combat King. The button layout is different on both controllers and that's slightly annoying when I'm hanging out with friends. Instead of getting right down to the action you have to map out the buttons for both controllers and do that for every game. That's not really a flaw with the controllers, it just means that it might be a good idea to have two of the same kind of controller if you're going to play with two players.

The main reason I wanted to give an update on the Combat King is because someone left a comment the other day saying they were glad to hear that the protective cover on the controller comes off because they want to draw their own Ninja Turtles cover on it. Well the plastic doesn't come off that easily but it's also not impossible to get rid of. I've been rubbing the plastic and the graphic off a little bit at a time with each use. Once a bit of the cover came off I figured I'd just let the whole thing go. Here's a picture of what it looks like at the moment.


As you can see, a lot of the original picture has come off where I usually rest my hands while playing. If you were actually trying to get rid of the entire picture then I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard. You'll also notice that I had to label the 4 buttons on the left side so that they show the PS3 buttons. If you're familiar with PS3 controllers then you can see that they layout isn't the same as on a typical controller. This is one of the things that makes having a Combat King and a Hori stick kind of annoying. The 4 buttons on the right are a little more straight forward with L1 and R1 at the top and L2 and R2 at the bottom.

I'd love to hear more feedback from anyone else who owns a Combat King, I've been having lots of fun with mine.

I'm off to put this controller to good use now with some Marvel vs Capcom 3, thanks for reading.

3 comments:

  1. hmm seems like during assembly the person who work on it wrongly jack in the cable for the buttons, I suppose you can easily open the rear case, and switch it to the correct order.
    sometime it is a matter of quickly pulling off the cable mount from button's leg, or you might need a soldering iron in another case with different button type. Thanks for the review, it seems like a decent base for modding, seems like even easier than other affordable base like mayflash

    ReplyDelete
  2. can someone send me the driver for windows - xchampx@gmx.at
    pro fighting stick arcade joystick of combat king

    thanks
    karl

    ReplyDelete
  3. can someone send me the driver for windows - srolley73@gmail.com
    pro fighting stick arcade joystick of combat king

    thanks
    Simon

    ReplyDelete